Sunday, October 18, 2009

Paranormal Activity review


Billions of dollars are spent every year to make horror films that's key job is to scare and I find it so funny that here's one that took fifteen thousand to make and it's far more entertaining, thrilling and scary then 98% of those. I tip my hat to writer, director Oren Peli because "Paranormal Activity" is almost has much fun I've had at the movies since "Inglourious Basterds".

The story goes pretty much as the trailer tells it. A couple think they're being haunted, the boyfriend Micah sets up a camera after things start to get worse and as the movie unfolds we learn what is really after them. Both he and his girlfriend Katie are extremely likable and suspect are a lot like the characters created thus their acting seems very natural. Then when things get tense their reactions are the more realistic. Often in haunting flicks we go through the stereotypical motions and such, here some of those motions make perfect sense and make you ask yourself... what would I do. I can't say there's too much difference between what was done and what I'd probably do.

I refuse to spoil any of the movie's reveals because they're too impressive to me. They're slight, the whole movie in fact is slight. There's no lead up music, no gore, just pure suspense and mystery which is most times far scarier than gore or anything like that. On the line of single camera horror pictures I would say this isn't quite as good as "The Blair Witch Project", but it's on it's coattails. It's not a movie filled with jumps, but it'll creep you the hell out numerous times and it's not afraid to make you laugh... mostly due to Micah's often cavalier attitude towards the haunting and the couple's interactions.

"Paranormal Activity" is riding into wide release on a lot of hype, but hype comprised more from viewers then from insiders and critics which makes a difference. I warn heavily that it's not a big scare movie, but one that'll get under your skin while watching it and then even more while you're trying to go to sleep. It's a great time at the movies that reminded me of the first time I saw a lot of the horror pictures I still love today. I'm not calling it an instant classic (although it could warrant that), but I am calling it one of my top favorite films of this year and definitely one of the most effective and entertaining horror films to come out in this decade.

"Paranormal Activity" **** out of ****

No comments:

Post a Comment